Doing away with 'groups' repo in mock

Oliver Falk oliver at linux-kernel.at
Thu Jun 28 19:28:16 UTC 2007

Hi Jeff!

Jeffrey C. Ollie schrieb:
> On Thu, 2007-06-28 at 13:52 -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:
>> Currently mock configs make use of a 'groups' repo to provide
>> a 'buildsys-build' meta-package.  This meta-package has a set of Requires:
>> that are used to create the 'minimal buildroot' mock uses to start builds.
>> This repo also provides a 'buildsys-macros' package.  Historically this
>> package would define things like the %dist tag and post-build actions.
>>
>> Today, in rawhide, fedora-release provides the %dist like macro definitions.
>> The post-build definition can be moved to redhat-rpm-config as well.  This
>> would obviate the need for buildsys-macros.  That would just leave the
>> meta-package to populate the buildroot.
>>
>> Since mock supports installing a group rather than a (meta)package, I propose
>> we define the buildsys-build group in the comps group directly.  This would
>> obviate the need for a single point of failure within mock building,
>> the 'groups' repo.
>
> ISTR that we were populating the mock buildroot by installing a
> comps.xml group before, and then we switched to a meta-package[1].  In
> fact, you (Jesse) were in favor of the idea[2].  What's changed in the
> last year that you'd like to go *back* to using comps.xml and
> groupinstall?
>
> I'm in favor of eliminating the groups repo and hosting the
> buildsys-build RPM in the regular package CVS & mirrors but I'm not in
> favor of going back to using comps.xml groups unless there's a good
> explanation of why we should switch back...
>
> [1] http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-buildsys-list/2006-March/msg00016.html
> [2] http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-buildsys-list/2006-March/msg00022.html

I think Jesse wasn't talking about changing anything in the buildsys,
only add default buildsys-build group to default comps.xml, for default
mocks. And fp.o does no longer need to host the groups repo somewhere.
Something that isn't needed for koji.

koji does provide it's own buildsys-build pkg, which is recreated every
time a new repo is created; Also a new comps.xml is created every
time... And it's maintained via koji group stuff... So for the buildsys,
it doesn't matter....

Correct me Jesse, if Jeff interpreted it correctly and I did not :-)

-of