an introduction and a question

Scott Berry sberry at northlc.com
Thu Jun 7 03:06:53 UTC 2007

Hello,

My name is Scott Berry.  I am located in the United States in Minnesota up
toward the Canadian border.  I am totally blind and found a program covered
under the BSD license that I would like to get packaged for Fedora.
The name of the program is Webmin.  I have spoken to the author and he has
okayed for me to do this.  I have a question though.  Actually a few of
them.  I am brand new to packaging so these may sound kind of silly.

1.  I tried creating an rpm of Webmin from the newest sources at
www.webmin.com.
2.  I have the program on my server and I did the following command with
errors:
"Rpmbuild -ts webmin-1.350.tar.gz" and I got the following errors:
error: Name field must be present in package: (main package)

error: Version field must be present in package: (main package)

error: Release field must be present in package: (main package)

error: Summary field must be present in package: (main package)

error: Group field must be present in package: (main package)

error: License field must be present in package: (main package)
3.  What is the spec file and do I need to build this myself or how is it
built and where should it be put?
Again I apologize if these sound like simple questions but I would like to
give back what I have been freely given by Fedora.

Scott