OpenSceneGraph

Rick L Vinyard Jr rvinyard at cs.nmsu.edu
Sat Jun 30 14:17:33 UTC 2007

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've several times been asked to upgrade OpenSceneGraph to
> OpenSceneGraph-2.0 (on rawhide and may-be FC7)
>
> So far, there remain a couple of details unclear to me, I'd like to see
> clarified:
>
> * OpenSceneGraph-2.0 is completely incompatible to OpenSceneGraph-1.x!
> * Packaging, features and all SONAME have changed!
>
> Questions:
>
> * Is there anybody out there who is actively using (esp. developing for)
> OpenSceneGraph-1?

Yes. In fact I was getting ready to submit packages for the VTP from
http://vterrain.org (initially including the libraries, VTBuilder and
Enviro). I've contacted the author to find out what the plans for
OSG-2.0 support are, and will follow up when I know more.

In addition to that, I have vtgtkmm which is a library of VTP widgets
for Gtkmm (similar to the WX widgets included in libvtui from VTP).

> * Is there anybody out there who is actively using Producer or who has a
> package which depends on (OSG-1's) Producer
> (OpenSceneGraph-2 has dropped Producer).

I also have osgtkmm which is dependent upon Producer. However, a move to
OSG-2.0 wouldn't bother me at all. I'd much rather target OSG-2.0 anyway.

> Should you answer to any of the questions above with "yes", please speak
> up ASAP.
>
> TIA.
> 	Ralf

Just another side note on OSG examples... I noticed that none of the
data files are included so they run without textures, etc.