too many deamons by default - F7 test 2 live cd

Leszek Matok Lam at Lam.pl
Tue Mar 20 21:15:03 UTC 2007

Dnia 20-03-2007, wto o godzinie 18:46 +0100, Krzysztof Halasa
napisał(a):
> ISDN/modem, i.e., dialup connection with per minute fee? Sure, that's
> different story, the updates are just too expensive on that. BTW: I've
> been using such dialups for years, before DSL and similar cheaper
> services became available. The key word here is "price per minute",
> not "speed".
Your memory doesn't serve you well. Please, get yourself access to a
64Kbps link, make Fedora update itself and try to do anything else in
the process. Let me propose remote SSH session. Especially when you use
it for work when something's broken and you need to fix it, quick. I
give you 30 seconds before you either smash your keyboard with a hammer
or killall -9 yum.

Because, you know, people use Fedora to do other things than updating
it. I, for one, turn my computer on only when I need it. It can't
download updates when I'm asleep or at work, because it's turned off at
the time.

Oh, I use cpuspeed on the desktop, because it saves me over 2 Watts of
energy :) Don't think you can make me leave the thing on for 9 hours a
day (when I'm at work, which, coincidentally, is the time needed to
update OOo on my previous link; now I have a fast connection, able to
update OOo in 4 hours, whoah!)

Price per minute (dialup) and price per byte (GPRS) are two another
factors, but don't tell me I can update my system and do anything else,
even on a 256 Kbps link.

Lam