Filesystem-local databases in mlocate

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Fri Mar 16 10:51:23 UTC 2007

On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 05:16:26AM +0100, Miloslav Trmac wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm planning to add filesystem-local database support to mlocate.  This
> allows:

First of all thanks for attacking this!

> - running updatedb on a file server and making the database
>   automatically available to clients without any client-side
>   configuration
> - using locate on GFS volumes without running updatedb on each host that
>   has the volume mounted (which slows the volumes down due to lock
>   contention)
>
> The plan:
> * the mlocate.db format is extended to support databases without a fixed
>   path prefix, such that all entries in a database in
>   /foo/bar/.mlocate/mlocate.db are implicitly prefixed by /foo/bar.
>   (this allows using /srv/home on the file server, mounting it as /home,
>   and using a single database on both the server and the client).
> * locate(1)'s default database is not just /var/lib/mlocate/mlocate.db;
>   mlocate also checks each mounted filesystem for a .mlocate/mlocate.db
>   file, owned by root or the invoking user, and not writable by anyone
>   but the owner.  Such files are automatically added to the database
>   path.

locate should also include .mlocate/mlocate.db a previous updatedb has
found and skipped. E.g. if updatedb detects a .mlocate/mlocate.db in a
folder in its path it skips it and registers it for locate to use.

Perhaps that way you can even save the explicit mentioning of
--single-fs paths in /etc/sysconfig/mlocate. If a paths is to be
handled as such the admin just creates an .mlocate folder and updatedb
and locate automatically pick it up.

--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net