Package EVR problems in Fedora 2007-10-31

Michael Schwendt mschwendt.tmp0701.nospam at arcor.de
Fri Nov 2 10:33:35 UTC 2007

On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 10:36:01 +0100, Till Maas wrote:

> Imho it should be valid to have a package in F7 updates-testing with a higher
> nevr than in F8.

Why isn't the same update built also for F8?
Why do you want to limit the testing to one dist?

> Afaik targets updates-testing at experienced users

And rawhide also targets experienced users, doesn't it?

> who are
> willing to test packages and should be able to handle situations, where there
> is no upgrade path to the next stable release.

The fun will start when we get multiple updates-testing repositories.
So far, F7 updates-testing has been the only one.

For some time we've excluded F7 updates-testing from the upgradepath
check, only to notice that F8 test1 got nearer and nearer with
packagers not preparing their updates (often even version upgrades)
for 'devel' at all. Unless it's a version upgrade, it's always
possible to update an old dist without breaking the upgrade path
(just increase %{release} appropriately).

Maybe in the future, the upgrade-path warning will be integrated into
the updates system. That might be less annoying than receiving a mail.