"ERROR: No build ID note found in" while building fpc (Freepascal compiler)

Joost van der Sluis joost at cnoc.nl
Tue Oct 16 10:17:28 UTC 2007

Op dinsdag 16-10-2007 om 12:06 uur [tijdzone +0200], schreef Joost van
der Sluis:
> Hi all,
>
> I got this problem on Koji wile compiling fpc:
>
> extracting debug info
> from /var/tmp/fpc-2.2.0-3.fc8-root-kojibuilder/usr/bin/h2pas
> *** ERROR: No build ID note found in /var/tmp/fpc-2.2.0-3.fc8-root-kojibuilder/usr/bin/h2pas
> error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.37361 (%install)
>
> I've read this message: https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-maintainers/2007-August/msg00141.html
> and it gives some hints, but they are useless for Freepascal. ;)
>
> h2pas is static-linked, could that be the problem? (all files in this packages are)
>
> Freepascal directly calls ld, so that could be the issue. But changing
> it in $(CC) -shared is simply not an option. ;) Besides, gcc should also
> call ld, so how does it do that, what is the difference?
>
> Who can help me with this?

I've found this http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureBuildId
and now I understand where this is all about.

But in my case is't simple: fpc doesn't support the .note.gnu.build-id
section for now. It's not an official section, so that's not that
strange. Support for it can be added, offcourse. But not in the current
release i'm packaging.

Maybe I could add a parameter to fpc so that it uses the --build-id
parameter when calling ld. I'll try that solution.

But as a consequence all fpc-programs in Fedora should add that
parameter to their build-scripts. I don't really like that solution...

Btw: the problem to identify binaries which you want to solve with this
trick, doesn't exist with fpc-binaries. What you're trying to solve is a
real gcc-problem only. So if this can be disabled in some way for
fpc-programs, that would be great.

Joost