License review for new itext version

vonbrand at inf.utfsm.cl vonbrand at inf.utfsm.cl
Tue Oct 23 14:42:03 UTC 2007

Hans de Goede <j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl> wrote:
> Laurent Rineau wrote:
> > On Sunday 12 August 2007 23:01:34 Jochen Schmitt wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> in the past we have removed itext and pdftk which depends on itext from
> >> the Fedora distribution due
> >> license issue.
> >>
> >> In the new iText package itext-2.0.4 I have found a text file about the
> >> licensing situation of the
> >> source file coming from Sun Corporation Inc.
> >>
> >> I have uploaded this file for review on
> >>
> >> http://www.herr-schmitt.de/pub/itext/sun.txt
> >>
> >> I want to know, it this ok for Fedora. But I assume, that the last term
> >> about usage this file for nuclear weapons may be a blocker.

I don't see terms /prohibiting/ any use, just saying that you are aware
that the software was not built to the standards required for nuclear power
plant (and such) use. If you use it anyway, the resulting crater is
entirely your fault. Same as with Linux, gcc, and a miriard other Fedora
packages.

> > Jochen, do you have an update of the situation? Will upstream agree
> > to modify the license scheme a bit?
> > I use pdftk randomly in my job, several times a year, but I really
> > need it. It is not so nice to see one usefull package go away from
> > Fedora.
> >

> You can try contacting Sun yourself, in the end getting license
> changes like this can take a long breath, multiple contact attempts
> before finding someone who is willing to discuss things, etc. So if
> you care, please contact Sun. And as always, please do so in a polite
> and friendly manner.

Is this an OSI-approved license? Does it make sense to grind it through
that process?