Getting my broadcom wireless card to work with rawhide

John W. Linville linville at redhat.com
Thu Oct 4 19:09:09 UTC 2007

On Thu, Oct 04, 2007 at 07:52:25PM +0100, Paul wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > > How do I get it to work? I'm using the v4 driver
> >
> > What is the content of your ifcfg-wlan0?
>
> I have ifcfg-wireless, but no ifcfg-wlan0

So, you are using ifup but you never setup the card w/
system-config-network?  Does that even work w/ wired interfaces?
It surely seems unlikely to work with wireless.

Perhaps you should start by running "service NetworkManager start"
and using the nm-applet icon on your GNOME desktop to choose from
any available networks?

If you know the SSID of an open WLAN nearby, you might alternatively
try something like this form the command line:

	service NetworkManager stop # just in case it is running
	ifconfig wlan0 up # this is important
	iwlist wlan0 scan
	iwconfig wlan0 essid <SSID> # replace <SSID> w/ appropriate value for your WLAN
	dhclient wlan0

> the ifcfg-wireless reads

Actually, what you posted looks like the contents of ifup-wireless
(up instead of cfg), and since it isn't intended to be customized it
really isn't interesting anyway. :-)

John
--
John W. Linville