samba license change

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Wed Oct 10 11:25:17 UTC 2007

Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Andrew Bartlett <abartlet <at> samba.org> writes:
>> The bit that bothers me is that not only was Samba for the longest time
>> mentioned in most GPLv3 news articles, we asked if anybody had a reason
>> not to change our licence, and nobody gave a compelling reason.
>
> There definitely have been complaints from the KDE camp, both on public news
> sites like Slashdot and on KDE developer blogs.
>
> See, the KDE project can't just move to GPLv3, most of their code is actually
> LGPL (which allows converting to any GPLv2+) or GPLv2+ already, but Qt is GPLv2
> only. So KDE can't do anything without Trolltech, and Trolltech is still in
> the "evaluating their options" phase.
>
> Also be aware that if the problem gets solved, it will be solved only for KDE
> 4, KDE 3 relies on Qt 3 which is not supported by Trolltech anymore, so the
> chances for that to change its license are essentially nil.

I must say I'm sorry to step into this flamefest, but weren't the QT licensing
issues the reasons why we have gnome in the first place? So all in all it turns
out that despite all trolltech's promises, they don't follow through?

Its really simple to me, TrollTech has the power to fix this, and they should,
so instead of endless discussions here, maybe those that care should focus
their efforts on TrollTech instead?

Regards,

hans