What's up with octave-forge?

Quentin Spencer qspencer at ieee.org
Tue Oct 16 13:57:29 UTC 2007

Kevin Kofler wrote:
> octave-forge is showing up in the broken deps all the time, the last successful
> build is from F7 times, and it doesn't build against current octave:
> http://linux.dell.com/files/fedora/FixBuildRequires/mock-results-core/i386/octave-forge-2006.07.09-9.fc7.src.rpm/result/build.log

There have been pretty significant changes to octave-forge and this has
required basically completely rewriting the spec file. This has turned
up a number of problems in both octave and octave-forge that have been
fixed. This has been a more involved project than I have had time to do
on my own, so I have enlisted the help of Orion Poplawski, who says he
is close to having something ready. I'm hoping that we'll get it to
build in the next few days.

The main change to octave-forge is that it is being split up into a
whole bunch (about 40) of separate octave "packages", along the lines of
all of the little packages for R, perl, python, etc. In order to get
something that builds we're keeping it all in one package for the
moment, but I would like to eventually split out the packages into
separate Fedora packages, but I don't really have time to maintain that
many. I have discussed this privately with some others who are
interested, but if anyone out there uses octave-forge and would be
interested in maintaining the portion of it that they use, please let me
know.

Quentin