Python 3.0

David G. Mackay mackay_d at bellsouth.net
Tue Sep 4 12:59:08 UTC 2007

> On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 09:08:00 -0500
> "David G. Mackay" <mackay_d at bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
> > I have a machine running FC6 with Zope and Plone.  It will probably be
> > migrated to Centos 5 soon as FC6 support will probably go away before
> > 2008.  And. who knows, it might become a critical enough app that I'll
> > spring for RHEL5 support.
>

> And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that migration path.  The
> best tool for the job.  The Fedora universe as it were has a multitude
> of tools in it's tool belt.  There is Fedora, there is RHEL, there is
> EPEL, and to some extent there is CentOS.  There are also tools that
> will allow you to create your own erm.. tool for whatever job you need
> to do.  Provided all this, I can't fathom a case where your need isn't
> serviced by at least one of these offerings.

The move to Centos or RHEL is due more to the switch from a development
phase to production.  I simply want the longer life cycle.

You seem to be saying that it's alright for Fedora to lack useful
features if the features are available in RHEL.  That seems to make
Fedora's utility as an upstream provider to RHEL somewhat less.

And, FWIW, it is almost trivially easy to set up python and Zope under
just about any flavor of Microsoft Windows from Win2K onwards.  Security
and maintenance are a different case, but I digress.

Dave