Goal: Increased Modularity?

Richi Plana myfedora at richip.dhs.org
Fri Sep 7 21:00:09 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-09-07 at 16:46 -0400, Thomas Fitzsimmons wrote:
> Richi Plana wrote:
> > Well, one method (and this isn't official AFAIK) is to run "alternatives
> > --config java" or "alternatives --config javac" and that should give you
> > a starting point for figuring out the list of JAVA_HOME paths for
> > packages installed that are blessed by JPackage (or was it Fedora? since
> > I'm not sure where alternatives support was introduced).
>
> Another method of querying and selecting blessed JPackage alternatives is
> system-switch-java.  It simplifies selection because it switches all relevant
> master links (java, javac, plugin) to the selected vendor/version
> implementations.  Try:
>
> yum install system-switch-java

The original poster was looking for a per-user solution to JVM
switching. I'm guessing from the name (system-switch-java) that it
switches the whole system's choice of java (javac, plugin, etc.) as
opposed to just the user's. And that it probably requires some kind of
elevated access permissions. Is it a frontend to the alternatives
system?
--

Richi Plana