Disable IPv6 by default.

Simo Sorce ssorce at redhat.com
Thu Sep 13 18:41:10 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-09-13 at 11:35 -0700, John Reiser wrote:
> Simo Sorce wrote:
> > On Thu, 2007-09-13 at 09:43 -0700, John Reiser wrote:
> >
> >>IPv6 service currently is not available to the vast majority of
> >>residential DSL and cable customers in the US.
> >

> > Since when Fedora turned out to be a US-only distribution?
> > Let me know, I may change my mind on a few things ...
>
> I didn't claim Fedora was US-only.  I did point out a large group
> of Fedora users who have no effective access to IPv6.  For such
> users, leaving IPv6 enabled is a security risk.  Fedora should
> make it easy (perhaps even the default) to *propagate* "Disable IPv6"
> from the anaconda installer into the resulting installed system.

On the anaconda propagate to install we may or may not agree, but you
can't decide a group of people is more important then another.
If US is back and can't keep up with technology, well too bad. Why
should we punish people in other countries where IPv6 is starting
becoming a reality?

Remember that IPv6 will probably explode quite fast at some point, like
any technology with important network effects do. We ought to be
prepared.

Simo.