Fedora 8 Test 2 Release Notes

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Mon Sep 17 23:54:03 UTC 2007

On Fri, 14.09.07 16:09, Richi Plana (myfedora at richip.dhs.org) wrote:

> > > Which device-API does the flash plugin use (/dev/dsp-OSS, ALSA)? What
> > > was the proposed fix to make it work with PulseAudio enabled?
> >
> > Flash uses its own (crappy) audio abstraction called
> > libflashsupport.so. pulseaudio-libs installs an implementation of
> > that file which connects to PA for audio playback.
>
> Thanks. I was about to ask what pulseaudio-libs had that Flash would
> use.
>
> So what did pulseaudio-libs have to implement to get Flash working? Are
> there talk with the Penguin.SWF folks on making their stuff use
> PulseAudio? Or do we have to live with layers-upon-layers of
> abstractions? ;)

I basically just implemented the mentioned libflashsupport.so. Which is
intended to be an API that can be used to replace the audio output
interface of Adobe Flash. For now this is enough to get Flash
working. Eventually it would be preferable if Flash would using PA
natively. But since the current API will eventually be replaced by
something called libsydney I have not asked Adobe to move this
abstraction upstream. The libflashsupport.so solution is good enough
for the near future.

Lennart