Root login in rawhide and display managers

Richi Plana myfedora at richip.dhs.org
Wed Sep 19 20:27:52 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-09-19 at 17:21 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> Richi Plana wrote:
> > On Wed, 2007-09-19 at 14:06 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> >
> >> User should be able to turn on/off/enable/disable  services ( the
> >> service's that aren't the mandatory one's ) in Anaconda
> >>

> > Beg to disagree. Anaconda should just concentrate on getting the real
> > Fedora image installed so that it becomes the running system (its kernel
> > and filesystem is used). You can argue for it at firstboot, though. Or
> > just put it in kickstart (if possible).
> >

> Then you must agree with me that Anaconda  should enable just the
> service's that are the mandatory one's and no other..

How I wish! I want all my installations to be as lean and mean, as
possible. Unfortunately, you're relying on people to choose which
services should be enabled or not when it should be the user (via
his/her use of the computer) that should decide. Once the software is
installed on a person's machine, we won't be there to enable or disable
a service should it all of a sudden be needed. Ideally, the software
should be smart enough to enable what needs to be enabled when the user
says "I need to do this" (and one of it's requirements is an enabled
service), but we aren't there yet and there's no formal mention that
that's the direction we are actually going.

Really, the system should try to be smarter when it comes to guessing
what the user needs (as opposed to being static and set at spin-time).
Even Windows tries to be smart and keeps track of what apps have been
recently used and presents those first. It also knows which ones are
less likely to be used and offers to remove them. We're nowhere near
that with services and packages.

So as much as I want just the services that I  actually use running on
my system (and packages that I only intend to use installed)
automatically done for me, I have to be satisfied with doing things
manually.
--

Richi Plana