NetworkManager-0.7 can't make new wireless connection

Tom London selinux at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 21:41:02 UTC 2007

On 9/28/07, Matthew Saltzman <mjs at clemson.edu> wrote:

> I guess NetworkManager will work with unencrypted WAPs.  It may work
> with WEP WAPs.  system-config-network works fine with WEP, but doesn't
> support WPA.  Have not tried wpa_supplicant.  Does anyone know of a
> step-by-step, quick-start HOWTO for wpa_supplicant?

I have it running with 'visible SSID' WPA.  Requires 'converting' your
passphrase into the derived hex key:

1. run '/usr/sbin/wpa_passphrase <SSID> <PASSPHRASE>', substituting
your WPA ssid/passphrase.
2. select and copy the part of the output showing the hex key.
3. When you select the WPA network in NM, paste the hex key.  The
enter button should be enabled.
4. It should then ask about your keyring passphrase. If you enter it,
you won't have to do the above again....;)

Example:

[root at localhost ~]# /usr/sbin/wpa_passphrase MY-SSID myPassPhrase
network={
        ssid="MY-SSID"
        #psk="myPassPhrase"
        psk=448ebab0a19b567dfe4089e5e92900932e4f1a7093f7a9fbf793ed43cbc95f57
}
[root at localhost ~]#

copy/paste text after 'psk=', etc.

For 'wpa_supplicant', I found the man pages for wpa_supplicant.conf
and wpa_supplicant useful.

tom
--
Tom London