very common kernel modules slow down the boot process

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Thu Apr 3 01:36:23 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-02 at 15:09 -0500, Jeffrey Ollie wrote:

> > > This *should* be in the background and not actually be delaying the boot.
> >
> >  The point is: Why is it started anyway? I have *no* wireless! No need to
> > eat disk/CPU resources (which *is* delaying the boot).
>
> Authentication isn't just for wireless anymore...  Many network
> switches can be configured to require 802.1x authentication from a
> system before allowing access to the network.  I'll be looking into
> enabling 802.1x authentication here at work this summer.  This is a
> case of having things "just work" - having the world's fastest boot
> time shouldn't be the ultimate goal here.

NM has support for wired 802.1x authentication via wpa_supplicant.
While there isn't UI for it quite yet, we'll be adding that UI in over
the next week or so.  If the right things are set in GConf it'll work.

Now getting this working for system connections is slightly more work,
because we're blocking on adding the necessary keys to ifcfg files.  I
simply need to sit down and work through what needs to get added to
ifcfg files, and then NM will grow system WPA and wired 802.1x
connections quite easily.

Dan