Mono Package audit

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 18:24:28 UTC 2008

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 9:46 AM, Patrice Dumas <pertusus at free.fr> wrote:
>  If the audit shows issue in mono packages in fedora that passed the reviews,
>  then the reviews were too fast rather than too slow.

I'm not sure it says that.

I think it says that collectively we probably don't grok the
particularities of mono.  If we don't have people who understand
mono's quirks as it relates to packaging, we are going to make
mistakes in review. Its a chicken and egg problem to some extent.
Since I personally don't use mono for anything, I don't personally
have an adequate understanding of what it takes to package it. And if
I don't have an adequate understanding of packaging it, I'm not going
to review mono submissions...even if I had the time.  I would imagine
that other contributors feel the same way as I do.

The frustrations being expressed with regard to mono, probably means
there needs to be a proactive and long term effort by mono supporters
to create some sort of mono task force inside this project. Such a
group could be both a mutual assistance group for review and
maintainance and it could help educate the general Fedora community
concerning mono usage and development.  But it will most likely have
to recruit members with existing knowledge of mono from outside of the
existing Fedora contributor pool.

So the question becomes... what is preventing our internal mono
supporters from recruiting active and experienced mono
users/developers to join our contributor pool to build a critical mass
of mono experience inside this project?

-jef