Re: Adding /sbin and /usr/sbin to everyone's path in F10

Axel Thimm wrote:
On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 12:30:31PM -1000, David Cantrell wrote:
The FHS states that /sbin and /usr/sbin are for root-only commands.
If we have programs in those directories that are to be used by
non-root users, I think we've violated the FHS.

The FHS says

"Utilities used for system administration (and other root-only
 commands) are stored in /sbin, /usr/sbin, and /usr/local/sbin."

It's open to interpretation whether the "other root-only command"
implies that "utilities used for system administration" are root-only,
too.

Given a unix-like context, one would expect a root-only command, by definition, to have modes like rwx------ root root filename. But I still have a problem with not being able to find them in my PATH after su'ing regardless of where they are.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell gmail com