Orphaned packages not! (splat, gpsman, nec2c)

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Fri Jun 6 16:01:33 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jun 06, 2008 at 11:39:20AM -0400, Steve Grubb wrote:
> On Friday 06 June 2008 10:16:42 Steve Conklin wrote:
> > I only gave up maintaining some security packages when I left Red Hat,
> > and I'm certainly still involved in Fedora and never intended to give up
> > these packages.
>
> This seems to be the crux of the problem. No built in orphaning process and we
> needed to start getting some updates on certain security packages.

There is
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/Policy/NonResponsiveMaintainers
(and
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/OrphanedPackages
)

> Yes, if you were still wanting to maintain a few of these, it was an accident
> and this would be my fault. I apologize for this. I checked a couple security
> packages that needs work and they had your old redhat address. So, I asked
> for your packages to be released so that we could continue working on them.

Why didn't you go through the process outlined in the policy? Is it
because you didn't know about it?

> I guess the moral of the story to anyone else is if you leave Red Hat, please
> orphan your packages before you leave and/or add your external email address
> if you still want to be involved with certain packages.

This would be nice, and it could also be possible that th enon
responsive maintainer policy is also done ofr redhat people. If it is
not th ecase, it would be nice to have it written in the wiki.

--
Pat