Including RPM's for older versions of firefox (and other applications)

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 05:44:06 UTC 2008

Rodd Clarkson wrote:

>>> yum install libstdc++.so.5
>>>
>>> Even in rawhide this should get you the proper compat-libstdc++-33
>>> package.
>> Aha thanks.  I was under the impression that wasn't there but of course..
>> didn't look.  It works just fine.
>
> So does this mean you might be willing to support/maintain this for f9?
>
> I'm happy to help but to be honest I don't code at that sort of level.
> My contributions to fedora are meager and include testing rawhide and
> trying to file bugs when I can, along with the occasional chitchat on
> the lists.

Thats something I'll keep looking into but 1) I'm not a packager myself yet,
although I have written specfiles and may take that step soonish, 2) I think
Spaleta's concerns are probably a big issue for long term support, and the
behavior of having multiple firefox instances running and needing separate
profiles is more than a small issue.

This is probably something best addressed (for now) by a wiki page with some
good info on how to make using the upstream tarball work nicely. (I don't have
the CLA signed or wiki edit at the moment either, so although I'd like to start
with the wiki page I can't do it this week... finals coming).