Summary of the 2008-03-11 Packaging Committee meeting

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Mar 19 13:05:57 UTC 2008

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 03:48:26PM +0300, Dmitry Butskoy wrote:
> Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
>> I can't use copy-paste on my Volker-Craig VC 4404!
>>   http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/tty/index.htm
> Looks sarcasmish a little...
>
> Actually, there are servers without VGA card at all. Sometimes ago Linux
> began to support "serial console" (and even Grub supports it fine). For
> such servers, a vt220-compatible dumb terminals (normally) used as a
> console. (Certainly, these terminals are a little more modern than in the
> link above :) )
[...]

I fully agree.  Serial console is a very important use case --
I just checked the serial console on a server that I admin and
it didn't appear to be able to use pasted Japanese characters
at all.  For example, pasting in にほん results in:

  ;'c+cls 'c

appearing on the command line.

TERM is vt100 and the serial console is a Cyclades TS2000, if that
makes a difference.

Rich.

PS. VC 4404 was the first dumb terminal I used, connected to a Convex 1
supercomputer running some derivative of BSD.  Wish I still had that :-)

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v