Summary of the 2008-03-11 Packaging Committee meeting

Dmitry Butskoy buc at odusz.so-cdu.ru
Thu Mar 20 12:03:34 UTC 2008

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-03-19 at 19:28 +0300, Dmitry Butskoy wrote:
>
>> But you can start to configure services while the system is installed.
>> Choose text installation, switch to the shell (Alt-F2) and configure
>> what is alrready installed... (Not my own skill though).
>>

> Again, the time to install the few extra packages is trivial.  Minutes.
> And in the real world you don't get extra credit for finishing 10
> minutes faster,

Not agree. I am working in production 24x7 environment, where 10 minutes
cost too much...

>   what I care about is the guy I'm going to have to hire in
> a few years to maintain the thing will know how it works without playing
> hours and hours of discovery.

For me, in our production environment, we do not need any "monkey
sysadmins". We want to have employees which are capable of "playing
hours and hours of discovery" when needed. Perhaps it will actually ever
not be needed, but we prefer that they had such experience.

~buc
http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/DmitryButskoy