Xorg 1.5 missed the train?

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sat May 10 20:17:37 UTC 2008

On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 11:32 AM, George Billios <gbillios at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> It seems that Xorg 1.5 will not be part of F9 - how could it since it is not
> even released yet.
>
> This raises the (theoretical - fedora 9 will ship either way) question,
> should fedora ship with an development version of Xorg ?

I think you mean Xorg 7.4... which xorg-server 1.5 will be one component of.

This is a non-issue. We've released pre-release components before for
other important components.  And we will continue doing it as long as
their is trust that the maintainers on the components are working
closely and actively with upstream with regard to patching the bugs.
Did you happen to have a specific upstream Xorg release 7.4 blocker
bug in mind that you are particularly concerned about?

Somehow I doubt its important for us to slip a major component like
xorg-server over something like an alpha architecture compiling bug
which isn't relevant to Fedora's ability to ship a usable xorg-server
to our users...at all.   And you have to also concede that Xorg bugs
dating to up to a year prior to the release of X11R7.3 probably aren't
going to be hard blockers on X11R7.4 either. Even upstream realizes
that you can't fix all the bugs before you make a release.

> Now its too late to change anything but I would appreciate some input here
> because it's a big deal to ship with a development version of one of the
> most important components.

it's less of a big deal than you make it out to be. We've done this
before with 'major' componetns.... we'll do it again.  You have to
accept the fact we are never going to be able to ship 100% bug-free
code on release day.. no matter how much we slip any particular
release deadline.  Bugs will exist, and decisions have to be made
concern the severity and impact of those bugs individually.  All bugs
are not made equal.  It's the same process upstream projects go
through. And it may very well be that the important bugs blocking an
upstream release are out of scope for a Fedora release specifically.
if you are not watching the upstream process closely then you are not
in a position to make an informed judgment.

We put a significant amount of integration testing into the new the
xorg components as they haven been coming along, and if the maintainer
in question felt things were not in good shape in terms where upstream
was at we would have regressed by now.

-jef"wonders when you'll notice how far away from current upstream
'release' our F9 gdm is"spaleta