Fedora 9 livecd-creator questions

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Thu May 15 20:16:53 UTC 2008

William Cohen wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have previously generated a livecd spin that includes a Systemtap
> tutorial (based on F-7 and F-8). I am updating this livecd to be based
> on Fedora 9. I have a couple questions when going through this process
> to build a SystemTap tutorial.
>
> The /usr/share/livecd-tools/livecd-fedora-9-base-desktop.ks has :
>
> selinux --enforcing
>
> However this appears to cause the machine creating the livecd to hang as
> mentioned in Red Hat bz #445630. I guess for the time being turn off
> selinux when generating a livecd. It is a less drastic workaround for this?

Set it to permissive mode. Turning it off entirely would prevent you
from creating a live cd with SELinux enforcing since the labels wouldn't
be correct. Refer ongoing fedora-selinux list discussions for details.

> I am doing the livecd creation on a x86_64 machine, but I want the
> livecd to be an 32-bit (i386) version. Is "setarch i386" command
> preceeding the livecd-creator, the way to build a 32-bit livecd on a
> 64-bit machine without modifying the kickstart file?

Yes.

> For some of the experiments in the tutorial root access in a shell is
> required. What would be the preferred way to allow someone using the
> livecd to get root access on the livecd?

Sure. The default root passwords are blank on the other live images too.

> We would be happy to make the SystemtapTap tutorial livecd images
> available as a custom spin. How does one get a custom spin onto the
> following list:
>
> http://spins.fedoraproject.org/

We, the spins SIG are responsible for this now. Guidelines at

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Spins

Rahul