None of the Above (was Re: Sendmail still default?)

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Tue Oct 21 08:05:33 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-10-20 at 10:51 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> Also filtering mail on MUA startup is just trainwreak recipe.
> If you want your MUA to start fast you need to pre-filter junk mail in
> the background (no not everyone uses gmail and gmail is not perfect
> anyway).
>
> So far, I haven't seen anything beating fetchmail + local MTA +
> server-side filters + local imap or local maildir delivery in Fedora.

But if you're using fetchmail, it's too late to filter -- because you
should be rejecting the stuff you don't want at SMTP time.

Filtering wants to be done on the _real_ mail server that accepts
incoming mail. Doing it after fetchmail is almost as bad as doing it in
the MUA.

David.Woodhouse at intel.com                              Intel Corporation