Fedora 10 Live CD services (all necessary?)

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Thu Oct 9 22:18:01 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-09 at 16:21 -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-10-09 at 22:17 +0200, Till Maas wrote:
> > Cups printer autodetection seems to work fast enough, that it could be enabled
> > on demand, e.g. when kprinter is opened. I have cups always deactivated and
> > when I need to print something, I start it and the kprinter instance I start
> > directly after this, shows the network printers, that are found via cups
> > browsing. But I guess there is no infrastructure there yet, to get cups
> > started on demand.
>
> There's some support in cups for it, but it's all tied to launchd for
> OS/X.  It would definitely be nice to have someone work on making this
> work for other environments

Will it auto-terminate too? It annoys me greatly that, even though I
only very rarely print to a LaserJet with a JetDirect card, I have to
have a demon running all the time. I don't need to share the printer, it
does that just fine by itself.

It's also obnoxious and redundant that every machine on my LAN seems to
insist on offering the *same* printer to every other machine no matter
how much I try and tell it not to...

(Is it possible to get a JetDirect card to do the CUPS browsing thing?
Its one of the newer ones that do IPP natively, but as of the last time
I flash upgraded it, it showed no sign of support for browsing...)