making available usb usable iso's without using livecd-iso-to-disk or liveusb-creator

Till Maas opensource at till.name
Sun Apr 12 11:46:36 UTC 2009

On So April 12 2009, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> psmith wrote:
> > like i said it was brought up that liveusb-creator and
> > livecd-iso-to-disk were available, but both of these are additional
> > packages and incur resource usage where as releasing an iso that is both
> > usb and cdr compatible saves resources
>
> Actually, making a hybrid ISO wastes the resource which is most valuable:
> disk space on the live CD! We're always very much at the limit of the live
> CD size, we have no room for extra USB stuff.

Is this really the case? By accident I found that the isolinux package
contains a isohybrid shell script which modifies existing iso images to be
hybrid. It only writes to the MBR, which is filed with nullbytes in the F11
Beta iso image and pads the image to a fake cylinder boundary. This makes the
image only around 600KB larger, but I guess even these 600KB can still be used
by the filesystem. The only problem I currently see, is that it seems to
conflict with the implanted md5 checksum.

> liveusb-creator is the more useful method, as it allows you to control your
> overlay size and share the USB stick with other stuff.

The problem with live-iso-to-disk is, that it is not functional on F10 to
create F11 live USB media, because it requires a F11 syslinux package. To
create testing live USB media, it would be a lot better if it was possible
just to use the latest Fedora Stable release to create bootable test media,
which should be always possible to use dd or cat with the hybrid iso.

Regards,
Till