Ready for new RPM version?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Sat Feb 28 01:51:24 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-02-27 at 17:33 -0800, Conrad Meyer wrote:

> Other distributions don't treat their development branch as as much of a
> bleeding edge testing ground. As Jesse pointed out, if we tried to make
> rawhide usable, we'd end up creating a 'Rawerhide' that serves the same
> purpose as rawhide today. So how about you just pretend F-10 is 'less-raw
> hide' and work with that? I bet most Fedora devs do.

Because it has a knock-on effect on quality. This is the ultimate point
here.

If everyone just figures, hey, it's Rawhide, what the hell, we end up
with a broken Rawhide. Then when we hit alpha stage we're scrambling
just to fix Rawhide and make it vaguely work. We're playing catch-up
throughout the entire pre-release cycle, fixing stuff that could have
been caught much earlier if more people were actually using the code.

Look - lots of Fedora people are developers, yes? Do the X.org
developers run X.org 7.4, do you think? Do you run the last stable
release of any application you write, or do you use the latest code you
just pushed into git? In most cases, the answer is that you use the
latest code. Why? So you know when you *broke* something, and you can
fix it. You wouldn't run an app by writing the code, throwing it at a
compiler, seeing that the build worked and throwing it into git, then
never running it but just running the last stable release, and hoping
the code you just threw at the development branch worked. At least, I'd
really *hope* you don't.

Why should the distro be any different? Why do you think it's a good
idea to develop something without using it?
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey