[Phoronix] Ubuntu 9.04 vs. Fedora 11 Performance

James Hubbard jameshubbard at gmail.com
Sat Jun 13 20:06:28 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 9:51 PM, Gilboa Davara<gilboad at gmail.com> wrote:
> I apologize in advance, for the overly harsh language. (Not specifically
> directed at you, Kevin).

I don't believe that you're being overly harsh.  I've been surprised
in general in the amount of "whining" that I've been reading in this
thread.  Phoronix is the only one that's doing benchmarks of the
various distributions and major parts.  I suppose that I should use
the Anandtech and Tom's Hardware reviews that are all done using
Windows to see how well the competing hardware stacks up against each
another.

As far as I can tell, the code for the Phoronix benchmark suite is
open source so it's open for others to look at for methodology and
potential improvement.  Someone could use the existing Phoronix suite
to create a benchmark that's specific to fedora that has the seal of
approval from the community.

The complaint about comparing the opensource video drivers versus the
proprietary ones baffles me.  It's the only place that I can go to see
what's happening from a perforamance perspective.  While the
opensource driver is usable on some hardware, the
performance/capabilities for newer hardware still doesn't match the
proprietary.  That does matter for those that need it.

I'm just waiting for someone to request permission to change the user
agreement to disallow the usage of the Fedora name in benchmarks.