Ready for new RPM version?

Tomas Mraz tmraz at redhat.com
Mon Mar 2 12:12:48 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-03-01 at 02:43 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Adam Williamson wrote:
> >
> > That was mine, actually. It's quite a good example. I did a private
> > build of Tcl/Tk 8.6, then over the course of a couple of weeks, patched,
> > rebuilt and tested every Tcl/Tk-based app in the distro, then pushed
> > them to Cooker in a lump. Was this, in a sense, a 'cookerer'? I guess
> > so. But it did the job, and I don't think there would have been any
> > benefit in pushing the updated Tcl before I was done testing the
> > rebuilds.
> >
> > There's probably a few issues lurking, but mostly it went OK. Anyhoo.
> > Off-topic here...
>
> You can probably do something very similar with a different tag in Koji.
>   That's how Python 2.6 was introduced in rawhide. Fedora maintainers
> should be using this feature in this build system more often. Openssl
> hassles could have been avoided by using it as well for example.
Unfortunately this is not true due to the circular build dependencies
where a package which you want to rebuild buildrequires a package which
has the old SONAME dep and itself buildrequires a package you just want
to rebuild. The cycle can be of course longer.

So the only non-kludgey way would be to add a compat openssl package
just to remove it a few weeks later as I don't want to maintain it.
--
Tomas Mraz
                                              Turkish proverb