RFC: automagically set wireless regulatory domain in cfg80211

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 19:58:04 UTC 2009

>> Some fallback (like an init script) should be included in any case,
>> since some installations will obviously not be using NetworkManager.
>> NM, when in use, can certainly push updated regulatory settings when
>> necessary, over and above what the init script would do.
>>
>> So we should really have both.
>
> And if the system isn't going to use wireless at all, why spend the
> bootup time to set something that will be of no use?

I (personally) think this is something that should be left to
NetworkManager. Its the auto wifi network tool supported in Fedora. If
your someone who goes through the pain of manually configuring wifi to
use the network scripts you should be able to configure the location
too. Or at the very least make it part of the system-config-network
stuff with an option in the GUI and then set it in the ifcfg-wlanX
file and make it part of the ifup script that brings up the wireless.
Then it doesn't impact the general startup.

Peter