Fedora (Linux) is Destroying it self

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it
Sun May 17 15:37:17 UTC 2009

Chris Adams wrote:

> I'd have to say my laptop has a lot more "interesting" hardware than my
> desktops.  Hot-swap card slots, built-in memory card reader (PCI
> connected, not USB), hot swap drive bay, Bluetooth, wireless, multiple
> pointer devices, special keyboard keys like volume control, etc.

On the other hand, laptops are typically single-everything, while desktop
(and servers still more) are multi-everything.

One CD/DVD unit.
One hard disk.
One screen.
One keyboard.
One ethernet.
One wireless.
One user. (!!!)

The annoying issues in recent Fedora are mostly related to things
beyond the laptop world: RAID, LVM, multinetwork setup and all the
"but I'm not logged in the console" and "but I'm not the only user"
problems (NetworkManager, pulseaudio, hal, dbus, permissions
and policies,...).

For example, the "I have two sound cards and a lineout goes in a
linein, how can I control the volume" issue can not be
anticipated if one automatically thinks always about laptops.

Fedora is (incorrectly) blamed to be the "beta" of RHEL.
Considering all the "laptop dragged from one Starbucks to another"
(credits to the guy inventing this denomination) infrastructure
there is now in Fedora, I'm really curious to see how the next
RHEL will be shaped (KMS?! NetworkManager?!).

   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it