[Fedora-directory-devel] Using Apache httpd

Nathan Kinder nkinder at redhat.com
Tue Nov 1 17:29:57 UTC 2005

Brian Topping wrote:

> On Nov 1, 2005, at 8:50 AM, David Boreham wrote:
>
>> Nathan Kinder wrote:
>>
>>> What issues are you having with ns-httpd on x86_64?  Are you simply
>>> having problems starting it?
>>>

>> The OP was seeing segfault on admin server startup, which he assumed
>> was the
>> problem mentioned here:
>> http://directory.fedora.redhat.com/wiki/FAQ#Admin_Server_fails_to_start_on_MP_Linux_kernel_or_on_x86_64
>>
>> He then tried the Sun JVM (1.5, not 1.4x), which didn't work either,
>> for reasons unknown at this time.
>

> Sorry for the delay to get back...
>
> David has the correct sequence here, but it was late and I realized
> this morning that I had reinstalled the rpm and didn't update the JRE
> path.  I'll take a look at that stuff today to close it out and update
> what notes I can on the subject.

If this is the issue that David referenced above, then you don't need to
use the Sun JVM to work around the problem.  The problem is that the IBM
JVM crashes when JIT compiling something during the Admin Server
startup.  You can disable JIT by adding "-Djava.compiler=NONE" to the
jvm.option parameter in <server root>/admin-serv/config/jvm12.conf.
This should not have any sort of performance impact since we only really
use Java for running the console application.

-NGK