[Fedora-directory-devel] Fedora Directory and Samba4

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Nov 9 23:37:35 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-09 at 21:22 -0200, Andreas Hasenack wrote:
> Em Terça 08 Novembro 2005 08:34, Andrew Bartlett escreveu:
> > > 3) Configure Samba4 to use FDS as it's database
> >
> > This is where I want to go.  I hate 'sync' systems with a passion, so I
>
> You have lost me here. Why do you want FDS as your database and not, say,
> openldap? And what happened to the internal ldap server in samba4?

So, Samba4's LDAP server is what will need to be seen by windows
clients, as they have very, very specific requirements, not met by any
existing free solutions.

However, Samba has the need for backend storage of it's data, and this
can either be in a local flat file, or in *another* LDAP server.  My
hope is that this would allow Samba to be a front-end to a larger
organisational directory, which is where I see FDS fitting in.

(I've not discussed OpenLDAP in this context yet, but no doubt I will
have similar discussions with interested people on that team at some
point).

Andrew Bartlett