[Fedora-directory-devel] Fedora Directory and Samba4

Chen Shaopeng chen_shaopeng at idsignet.com
Thu Nov 10 00:22:01 UTC 2005

Andrew Bartlett wrote:

>>>This is where I want to go.  I hate 'sync' systems with a passion, so I
>>
>>You have lost me here. Why do you want FDS as your database and not, say,
>>openldap? And what happened to the internal ldap server in samba4?
>

> So, Samba4's LDAP server is what will need to be seen by windows
> clients, as they have very, very specific requirements, not met by any
> existing free solutions.
>
> However, Samba has the need for backend storage of it's data, and this
> can either be in a local flat file, or in *another* LDAP server.  My
> hope is that this would allow Samba to be a front-end to a larger
> organisational directory, which is where I see FDS fitting in.
>
> (I've not discussed OpenLDAP in this context yet, but no doubt I will
> have similar discussions with interested people on that team at some
> point).

So, if I understand this well, for a fully integrated solution, you are
going to have 2 LDAP servers, one is the internal built-in LDAP server
for storing Windows client stuff, and a second LDAP server (FDS in this
case), for everything.

If that's the case, why can't you come up with a schema (that can be
added into any standard LDAP server) that will satisfy all Windows
client needs, and put everything into FDS?

I'm lost too.

rgds

csp
--