[Fedora-directory-devel] Re: Please Review: Add LDAPI (LDAP over unix domain sockets)

Pete Rowley prowley at redhat.com
Fri Feb 23 21:32:58 UTC 2007

Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-02-22 at 18:18 -0800, Pete Rowley wrote:
>
>> Andrew Bartlett wrote:
>>
>>> And where OpenLDAP has done something first, or it's way of doing things
>>> is more sane, I ask that Fedora DS follow that lead.  I need less, not
>>> more 'if <vendor>' code...
>>>

>> Your if vendor code would be zero. Presumably Samba would be enabled
>> with access in line with its operational requirements. Bearing in mind
>> that Samba runs as root, it is likely to find that any machine it is
>> installed on has anonymous access for root, just like it is allowed to
>> actually run as root.
>>

> I'm not quite sure what you mean here,
I mean typically services are not allowed to run as root, but apparently
Samba must so Samba is configured to do so if the site needs Samba. In
exactly the same way, as an example only, auto bind for root might be
often mapped to some administrative user in the directory, but clearly
that would not be desirable if one wanted Samba to run on the machine.
Options would then be: don't configure root as anything other than
anonymous, or, if that was not acceptable, configure samba to use LDAP,
not LDAPI, or configure samba to have root OS privilege, but make use of
the autobind feature that allows to more finely distinguish between OS
users with the same uid and have Samba identified by its own unique
entry with its own unique security context. None of those options
involve an #ifdef vendor or even the slightest whiff of a branch in your
code.

> It certainly seems an odd default.

Agreed, but that is moot at this point.

--