[Fedora-directory-devel] How to configure new Backend

Howard Chu hyc at symas.com
Wed Mar 7 17:20:41 UTC 2007

> Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 14:32:28 +0530
> From: Eswar S <eswars at huawei.com>

> Thank you for Replay. As per FAQ I need to write my own plug-in for storing
> ldap entries into mssql/oracle database.
> I have seen slapi to write Server plug-in and examples provided at
> /opt/fedora-ds/plugins/slapd/slapi/examples. But I am not finding sample
> code for writing plug-in for Backend databases.
> Is there any sample code for writing plug-in for backend database?
>
> I am referring this link to write  plug-in.
> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/dir-server/plugin/7.1/pluginTOC.html
>
> Thank you
> Eswar S

You could just use OpenLDAP, which already provides a back-sql backend...

In any case, using SQL as a backing store for LDAP is a couple orders of
magnitude slower than using the native LDAP databases. Taking this
approach is OK when you need access to existing SQL data and have no
other choice. If you're just creating a new database, it's best to avoid
SQL entirely. In the case of OpenLDAP, using the proxycache overlay in
combination with the back-sql backend will improve search performance.
--
   -- Howard Chu