[Fedora-directory-devel] How to configure new Backend

Richard Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Wed Mar 7 14:53:19 UTC 2007

Eswar S wrote:
> Thank you for Replay. As per FAQ I need to write my own plug-in for storing
> ldap entries into mssql/oracle database.
> I have seen slapi to write Server plug-in and examples provided at
> /opt/fedora-ds/plugins/slapd/slapi/examples. But I am not finding sample
> code for writing plug-in for Backend databases.
> Is there any sample code for writing plug-in for backend database?

I would suggest starting here -
http://directory.fedora.redhat.com/wiki/Plugins

For a pure backend database plugin, your best bet would be to start with
the source code for the chaining database (which is an LDAP backend).
http://cvs.fedora.redhat.com/viewcvs/ldapserver/ldap/servers/plugins/chainingdb/?root=dirsec

However, for your purposes, you might find it easier to write a data
interoperability plugin.  We had a Netscape customer who did this very
same thing - write a data interop plugin which put an LDAP frontend on
their Oracle backend database (really just a simple LDAP<->SQL
converter) - and, in case you were wondering, no, the code is
proprietary to that particular customer (this was a few years ago).
There are some examples for data interop here -
http://cvs.fedora.redhat.com/viewcvs/ldapserver/ldap/servers/slapd/test-plugins/?root=dirsec