[Fedora-directory-devel] Using Directory Client without an admin server running

"Sztupák Sz. Zsolt" sztupi at nava.hu
Thu Jun 19 14:52:33 UTC 2008

Hi!

I was just curious: Is it officially possible to use the directory
client for LDAP-related jobs without having an admin server running? I
mean most of the things you'll use the client for is LDAP related
(adding-removing users, changing attributes, changing ACLs, etc.), and
there is no need for an admin server to be running.

Unofficially I managed to hack a small groovy script that will run the
DS client (inside fedora-ds-1.1.jar) and connect to a server. Browsing
the directory and changing attributes works, but adding a new entry, or
changing ACL-s will crash the program (but I'm trying to figure out
why). You still need an "o=netscaperoot" base in your LDAP directory,
but at least the admin server need not be running (we are running a
service on a Gentoo Linux based machine with Lighttpd, and don't want to
use/install Apache).

 SztupY

console.groovy:
// create a fedora-ds-1.1.jar in your home directory containing all
classes (merge all jar files IDM uses into one named fedora-ds-1.1.jar)
for this script to work
import com.netscape.admin.dirserv.DSAdmin;
import com.netscape.management.client.console.*;
import com.netscape.management.client.util.Debug;
import java.awt.*;
import netscape.ldap.*;
com.netscape.management.client.util.Debug.setTraceLevel(9);
DSAdmin d = new DSAdmin();
ConsoleInfo i = new
ConsoleInfo("HOST_NAME",389,"USER_NAME","PASSWORD","o=NetscapeRoot");
LDAPConnection c = new LDAPConnection();
c.connect("HOST_NAME",389,"USER_NAME","PASSWORD");
i.setLDAPConnection(c);
i.setCurrentDN("cn=SERVER_NAME,cn=fedora directory server,cn=server
group,cn=HOST_NAME,o=netscaperoot");
i.setAdminOS("Windows"); // in Windows
d.initialize(i);
Component cc = d.getCustomPanel();