[Fedora-directory-users] What next?

Jeff Clowser jclowser at unitedmessaging.com
Tue Aug 2 19:40:03 UTC 2005

It all depends on your client apps.  Client apps, in this case, are
pretty much anything that talks to the directory server (i.e.
thunderbird, a mail server that uses ldap for user info, etc.).

In the case of using thunderbird as an addressbook client:
1.  click on the addressbook button.
2.  under the file menu, select new->LDAP Directory
3.  For the name, put a name, like "Corporate directory".  For hostname,
put the name of your ldap server.  For basedn, put the suffix (top of
your tree).  Set the port number to whatever you configed directory
server for (probably leave as 389).
4.  If you don't have anonymous access (I think the default aci's leave
it on), enter the dn of your account (probably something like
uid=jdoe,ou=people,dc=example,dc=com).

Save that, and you should now be able to use that directory when
composing email (by clicking "contacts").

That configs thunderbird to look at the directory.  You have to populate
the directory server with users then, and there are lots of ways to do
that, such as console, ldif, etc.  I think Thunderbird probably only
looks at objectclass=person or something like that - look at the
directory server access logs to see exactly what it is looking for to
find entries, then put users in that match that and meet schema
requirements.

For a purely contact type entry, probably something that is objectclass
top, person, organizationalperson, and inetorgperson would do it.  Then
populate things like givenname, cn, sn, mail, telephonenumber,
facsimiletelephonenumber, mobile (aka cell), pager, l (aka city), st,
street, postaladdress, postalcode, etc.  Start with creating a user in
console, then figure out what data you want to see, then figure out what
attribute is appropriate and add it.

 - Jeff