[Fedora-directory-users] passwd/shadow/group --> fedora-ds HOWTO?

Bryan K. Wright bryan at ayesha.phys.Virginia.EDU
Wed Aug 31 13:59:29 UTC 2005

Hi folks,

	I've just started playing with fedora directory server,
and I'm looking for a straightforward way to import existing
Linux accounts (passwd/shadow/group files) into fedora-ds.

	I've looked at the padl migration tools and tried
them out, but they don't seem to quite get it right.  First,
the groups are put into ou=Groups instead of ou=Group (as
fedora-ds expects).  Editing the ldif file to change Groups to
Group allows me to import the group data, but then the objectClasses
are wrong.  The padl tools create groups as class "posixGroup",
but fedora-ds seems to use "groupofuniquenames" for groups.

	Also, the padl migration tools use objectClasses
"posixAccount","account" and "shadowAccount" for entries in
the passwd file, but fedora-ds seems to expect "person",
"organizationalPerson" and "inetorgperson".

	Has anybody written a simple HOWTO for migrating
passwd/shadow/group files to fedora-ds?

						Thanks,
						Bryan

Bryan Wright                |"If you take cranberries and stew them like
Physics Department          | applesauce, they taste much more like prunes
University of Virginia      | than rhubarb does."  --  Groucho
Charlottesville, VA  22901  |
(434) 924-7218              |         bryan at virginia.edu