[Fedora-directory-users] passwd/shadow/group --> fedora-ds HOWTO?

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Wed Aug 31 15:52:42 UTC 2005

Bryan K. Wright wrote:

>Hi folks,
>
>	I've just started playing with fedora directory server,
>and I'm looking for a straightforward way to import existing
>Linux accounts (passwd/shadow/group files) into fedora-ds.
>
>	I've looked at the padl migration tools and tried
>them out, but they don't seem to quite get it right.  First,
>the groups are put into ou=Groups instead of ou=Group (as
>fedora-ds expects).  Editing the ldif file to change Groups to
>Group allows me to import the group data, but then the objectClasses
>are wrong.  The padl tools create groups as class "posixGroup",
>but fedora-ds seems to use "groupofuniquenames" for groups.

Fedora DS groups can be both posixGroup and groupOfUniqueNames.  Just
add the objectclass "groupOfUniqueNames" to your posixGroup entries (or
vice versa, if you have existing gouns that you want to use as posix
groups).

>	Also, the padl migration tools use objectClasses
>"posixAccount","account" and "shadowAccount" for entries in
>the passwd file, but fedora-ds seems to expect "person",
>"organizationalPerson" and "inetorgperson".

Similar to the above, entries can be both inetOrgPerson and
posixAccount, shadowAccount, and account (see the caveat about using the
account objectclass here -
http://directory.fedora.redhat.com/wiki/Howto:Posix)

>	Has anybody written a simple HOWTO for migrating
>passwd/shadow/group files to fedora-ds?

Not yet, but we're in the process.