[Fedora-directory-users] moron at the helm - can't coordinate users-groups & padl stuff

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Dec 7 03:18:05 UTC 2005

This is basic stuff and I could do it easily with openldap and I can see
I am close. I can get what I need from command line ldapsearch and it
works fine.

RHEL 4 - have run authconfig and my pam.d/system-auth looks like wiki
page for FDS with PAM

I can tell that the padl stuff (nsswitch.conf and /etc/ldap.conf) is
working because the logs show me that 'cn=Directory Manager' is
attempting to bind but it always returns error=32 (obviously no such
object...which by the way is a lousy error report because obviously this
is about invalid credentials and should return error=49)

Anyway, I do have the password for cn=Directory Manager
in /etc/ldap.secret (have tried both with and without a line feed) and
even tried to put rootbinddn & rootpw in /root/.ldaprc to no avail.

Regardless, 'getent passwd' doesn't return anything but contents
of /etc/passwd (likewise for group)

Is there a clue stick for being able to derive accounts from FDS?

I could post the contents of /etc/ldap.conf and /etc/nsswitch if
necessary...perhaps it's one of the commented values in ldap.conf that I
routinely pass over with openldap.

Craig