[Fedora-directory-users] Console - Administration Panel

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Dec 9 05:55:26 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-08 at 20:25 -0700, Richard Megginson wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
>
> >OK - while mucking around with console and certificates, I manually
> >clipped out the stuff from admin-serv/config/adm.conf & console.conf and
> >local.conf and seem to have everything back in order.
> >
> >I restart the admin-serv and the encryption stuff comes right back into
> >local.conf and I can't figure out where it is coming from.
> >

> It's stored in the directory server under o=netscaperoot - do an
> ldapsearch for
> ldapsearch -b o=netscaperoot -D "cn=directory manager" -w password
> "cn=configuration"
>
> The local.conf file is just a read-only cache of that information.
>
> If you cannot edit it using the console, you can use ldapmodify
> 1) find the full dn of the entry using the ldapsearch as above
> 2) identify the attributes that deal with the encryption stuff
> 3) use ldapmodify like the following:
> ldapmodify -D "cn=directory manager" -w password
> dn: cn=configuration,.....
> changetype: modify
> replace: nameofattr
> nameofattr: newvalue
----
Thanks - I can probably do that but it occurred to me that I should just
probably restore from my last backup but now I can't find my backup.

# ls -l /opt/fedora-ds/slapd-srv1/bak
total 0

I had created 2 separate backups using the console application (and even
restored once so I know that it worked) but now they are nowhere to be
found and so I can't restore. I'm beginning the think that the console
application - though exceedingly dangerous in this rookie's hands is
possibly not quite ready for prime time...why did the backups disappear?

Is there a method to wipe out the entire DSA and start over without
removing the rpm and re-installing rpm again?

And by the way, I am most appreciate of all of the help you have been
giving me Richard - just in case I haven't made it obvious - you have
been exceedingly patient and helpful.

Thanks

Craig