[Fedora-directory-users] setup fails, cannot start server (slapd)

Ulli Horlacher horlacher at belwue.de
Tue Dec 20 17:09:15 UTC 2005

After successfully building (with dsbuild) and installing FDS on a SLES 9
system, the startup script hangs.

I have run /opt/fedora-ds/setup/setup with default-answers to all
questions (besides the password ;-) ). The problems are:

	Fedora Directory Server system tuning analysis version 04-APRIL-2005.

	NOTICE : System is i686-unknown-linux2.6.5-7.201-smp (2 processors).

	ERROR: We support kernel version 2.4.7 and higher.

	Continue? (yes/no)

Looks like a string compare bug to me. I typed "yes".
Then, some questions later, I got the infinitive loop:

	[slapd-lanldap2]: starting up server ...
	[slapd-lanldap2]: Attempting to obtain server status . . .
	[slapd-lanldap2]: Attempting to obtain server status . . .
	[slapd-lanldap2]: Attempting to obtain server status . . .

I terminated setup and rerun it. Now I got:

	In order to reconfigure your installation, the Configuration Directory
	Administrator password is required.  Here is your current information:

	Configuration Directory:
	Configuration Administrator ID:

	At the prompt, please enter the password for the Configuration Administrator.

	Fedora configuration directory server
	administrator ID: admin
	Password: xxxxxxxx

	Could not connect to f8/LC_CTYPE
	Press any key to continue.

What now?
I found no hint in http://directory.fedora.redhat.com/wiki/FAQ or
http://directory.fedora.redhat.com/wiki/Install_Guide

--
-- Ullrich Horlacher, BelWue Coordination ------- mailto:framstag at belwue.de --
   Computing Centre Universitaet Stuttgart (RUS)