[Fedora-directory-users] setup fails, cannot start server (slapd)

Richard Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Tue Dec 20 17:15:27 UTC 2005

Ulli Horlacher wrote:

>After successfully building (with dsbuild) and installing FDS on a SLES 9
>system, the startup script hangs.

Earlier you posted that you were having problems building on SLES 10:

>I have no fix for this problem. libgssapi_krb5 is missing on SLES, the
>free kerberos implementation heimdal does not contain a libgssapi_krb5
>
>What now?

I guess SLES 9 has the correct kerberos/gssapi packages, but not SLES 10?

>I have run /opt/fedora-ds/setup/setup with default-answers to all
>questions (besides the password ;-) ). The problems are:
>
>	Fedora Directory Server system tuning analysis version 04-APRIL-2005.
>
>	NOTICE : System is i686-unknown-linux2.6.5-7.201-smp (2 processors).
>
>	ERROR: We support kernel version 2.4.7 and higher.
>
>	Continue? (yes/no)
>
>Looks like a string compare bug to me. I typed "yes".

Yes.  There is no support in dsktune for SLES, so you can just ignore that.

>Then, some questions later, I got the infinitive loop:
>
>	[slapd-lanldap2]: starting up server ...
>	[slapd-lanldap2]: Attempting to obtain server status . . .
>	[slapd-lanldap2]: Attempting to obtain server status . . .
>	[slapd-lanldap2]: Attempting to obtain server status . . .

You will need to look at slapd-lanldap2/logs/errors - there should be
some clue there.

>I terminated setup and rerun it. Now I got:

This doesn't work.  setup is not idempotent.  You will have to remove
your installation and reinstall.  But the real key is to find out why
the server did not start.  Also look for core files in
slapd-lanldap2/logs or bin/slapd/server