[Fedora-directory-users] Advantages of using FDS vs OpenLDAP?

Kevin Myer kevin_myer at iu13.org
Fri Jul 8 17:43:23 UTC 2005

Quoting Sam Tran <stlist at gmail.com>:
> I was wondering how FDS compares with OpenLDAP in terms of performance.

Well, its faster, in our case (and I say that tongue-in-cheek).  Our current
primary directory server is running on a dual 168Mhz Ultra 2 Sun box.  And our
secondary is a Sparcstation 10, at a whopping 70Mhz :)

> If you don't mind me asking how big is your current LDAP
> infrastructure in terms of entries and number of connections/sec.? How
> well your test FDS performs compare to your current LDAP server?

Its a small installation, maybe 10,000 entries, but that services our own
organization, as well as 22 school districts, each in separate trees.  But per
above, there's really no way I can provide an accurate comparison between the
current and anything else, other than to say its faster.

> I would appreciate your input.

Factors that go into my decision (and I use Fedora loosely, to describe my
experience and observations with Netscape/Sun/iPlanet products generally):

Cost (its a wash between OpenLDAP vs. Fedora DS)
Manageability (hands down Fedora, simply because I'm familar with the Netscape
management infrastructure)
Scalability (my guess is Fedora, based on the size of installations
that are out
there)
Availability (Fedora - no proven multimaster support in OpenLDAP)
Ease of migration (Fedora - an upgrade to OpenLDAP meant refactoring
all ACL's,
massaging attributes and objectclasses, etc.)

Kevin

--
Kevin M. Myer
Senior Systems Administrator