[Fedora-directory-users] Advantages of using FDS vs OpenLDAP?

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Fri Jul 8 17:19:14 UTC 2005

Sam Tran wrote:

>On 7/8/05, Kevin Myer <kevin_myer at iu13.org> wrote:
>

>>If I can piggyback off of this question and ask another: advantages of using
>>RedHat Directory Server vs. Fedora Directory Server?
>>
>>The only thing I can see we get with RedHat Directory server is
>>official support
>>(and at the prices I was quoted per year, for two servers, I could hire half a
>>person, although academic pricing wasn't available at the time :)
>>
>>The situation I'm in is one where I have an aging directory infrastructure,
>>going all the way back to the days when the Directory Server was branded with
>>the Netscape brand :)  Its been on my TODO list to upgrade to something, for
>>the past two years, but I never got around to migrating to OpenLDAP, for a
>>number of reasons.  With the release of RedHat/Fedora Directory Server, it was
>>a matter of installing it, adding a few schema modifications, exporting data
>>from the old server, and importing into the new.  Simple as pie.  I've been
>>running with that in a test environment for a month, no problems.  And I'm
>>ready to plan out a full scale conversion and setup multimaster replication.
>>

>Hi Kevin,
>
>I am using OpenLDAP in our environment. I've been thinking to migrate FDS.
>
>I was wondering how FDS compares with OpenLDAP in terms of performance.

They are similar, especially when using recent versions of OL (2.2.24 or
later) with the back-bdb (BDB 4.2.52 + patches).  It seems that the
default configuration (and auto-configuration functions) with FDS make
it easier to get good performance "out of the box".  OpenLDAP requires a
bit more digging and tweaking.  I would say that there is no reason to
choose one over the other strictly on performance alone - both servers
are "fast enough" for almost any application.